Dunlop 205 report

I just replaced the 205's with Continentals. This was done mainly as a cost
consideration since the Conti's are priced better. Just to pass on a few
notes on the 205's. So far I have sampled the Bridgestone BT57, Michelin
MX90, Dunlop 207 (2 sets) and Dunlop 205. I would have to say my preference
for the tires was the inverse of my use. I liked the 205's because they
seemed to have a stiffer carcass than the 207's, which passed along more
information to me. I got about 9,100 miles out of the 205's which was more
than the 6,500 to 7,500 that I had been getting out of the others. Guess I
was hoping for just a little more mileage though. One thing I found curious
upon examination of the carcass's. The rear wore out in the center, which
was the opposite of the wear on the MX90 which was subjected to almost
exactly the same riding experiences. I used the MX90 for last years Rallye
and the sides were totally shredded with no tread left after my tour of
North Carolina and Virginia on the way home. The 205 showed some evidence of
abuse on the sides, but clearly had lots left in that area. While we were
following Dennis I did not get much chance to abuse them, he rides the
'pace', but we did our own thing coming down through VA, on the Dragon, and
when we were following Mark without Dennis. So all in all I expected the
same kind of wear pattern. Add to that, most of our highway mileage has been
in the rain, which I would think should help the center portion of the tire
last longer. The front 205 had about the same amount of cupping the other
tire brands and types exhibited. I did find that I could feel the cupping
much more with the 205 (harder carcass?), especially when on the brakes
hard. I will give a report on the Conti's Monday after our weekend in VA/WV.

Paul & Dee
Madd Dawg & Dinky Dawg
1999 Sprint ST
2000 Buell X1