Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 11:43:53 -0700 (PDT)
From: Chris Runhaar <runhaar@xxxxxxxxx>
To: zx@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Deals Gap incident, another perspective

I don't know who wrote this, but it was sent to the VTR list:

O.K., here is how MY weekend at the gap went! Me and a buddy got to the gap
at 3:30 pm on Friday. As we were unloading our bikes we noticed a few guys
extremely pissed off. They had room 10, they we are in 12. About 10 minutes
later a Blount County sheriff car pulls in C.O.T. He comes up to room 10 and
ask them if the yellow bike belongs to them (one yellow Vulcan 1500, and 2
YZF's). About this time I noticed a helicopter circling over head. Then the
sheriff pulls out his gun and tells all 3 guys to get their hands on the hood
of his car! Next thing you know, there is 4 sheriffs, 1 highway patrol, 1
park ranger, and a damn volunteer fireman in the parking lot. Then the
helicopter lands at the intersection of 129 and 28! Here is what these dumb
bastards did. They were coming down the gap (the Vulcan and both YZF's) and
slowed by a line of 5 pickup's pulling bass boats. When they could, they
started to pass the boats a few at a time. One of the guys in one of the
trucks was less then pleased with the motorcyclist jumping in front of him.
So he proceeds to run-up on the bikes, honking his horn and flashing his
lights! Needless to say this enraged the guys on the bikes! So, when they got
down the hill, they stopped at their room, got a 45 cal. semi-automatic
handgun and chased the convoy down! When they caught the group, 2 of the
bikes got in front of the offending truck, and hit their brakes to bring it
to a stop. The third cyclist gets of his bike and an altercation, and looking
for a fight. The guy in the truck decided that he did not wish to stick
around, and proceeded to push the bike out of his way! He knocked down one
bike and was pushing the other one (with the guy still on it) off the road.
This somewhat enraged the guy with the gun as his bike was just knocked over,
so he pulls out the gun. He proceeds to shoot the guy in the truck (hits him
in the shoulder, but it is a .45!), shoots up the truck and the boat. When
he's done unloading the entire clip from his .45, they gather up the bikes
and go back to the one place the cops will never look for bikes! the C.O.T!
The shooter is still in the county jail, charged with a number of things
(assault with a deadly weapon, shooting into an occupied vehicle, etc). The
other two guys have as yet to be charged.