Avon vs Pirelli

Hi,

I apologise for bringing up the subject of tyres again.

I'm needing new tyres for my ST and have been looking at the Avon Azaro
II's and Pirelli Dragon GTS's, both of which got good reviews in the MCN
test and, looking at the archives, seem to be well received on this
list.

As usual I'm getting conflicting advise from the two dealers within my
area.

One is reluctant to fit the Avons because he's had several problems with
side wall's cracking. The other said that they square off quite quickly.
Since this was my key criticism of the BT57 rear, which seems to square
off after 3K or so, I'd rather avoid that.

Have any of you guys who use Avon's done enough mileage yet to be able
shed any light on this ?

The Pirelli's have been recommended but I'm told that they turn rather
slowly. I've used the Dunlop 207 which turns nicely. Do the Pirelli's
really turn that much slower in practice ? I'm also told they are rather
slow to warm up.

I know that a lot about tyre choice is down to compromise, personal
preference and riding style, but any real world feedback would be most
welcome.

Antony
Blue ST - stuck in garage due to lack of fuel :-(
Wet Scotland - come back summer !