RAT membership

	Lots of comments on this so I'll put in my bit.
	I attended a RAT ride in the Texas hill country back in May. I enjoyed
it.
	I met Greg Casey who is the new RAT coordinator. I found Greg to be
helpful, full of enthusiasm, and wanting to improve things. He was new
and a little short on experience at the time but he kept asking how he
could make things better. Numerous times Greg asked what we thought. If
he's asking, he wants to know. That doesn't mean he can change the world
but I firmly believe that Greg will do what he can to improve
communications and the rides. But let's face it, he also has a budget.
	Fortunately for us ST, RS, and SS riders, but unfortunately for the
other type Triumph riders, Greg rode a Daytona. That leads to the
problem of pace as the two type bikes Triumph sells are designed for a
different type riding speed. We did have a slower group head out at a
later time with those riders in mind. Either it was organized or they
did it on their own?
	My comments on RAT are that I think as soon as Greg heals things will
start to improve. how much, I don't know. But, he will try and it will
not be overnight.
	We had about the same number of riders "Riding the Ridge" as the RAT
event I attended and this was only the second TSRA Rallye. That is
between 50-60. The difference was that at the RAT event the riders were
all close based and at the TSRA event the riders were from all over the
Eastern United States. Maybe Texas has more riders close enough to
attend the hill country ride?
	I cannot attend most RAT events as they are too far away. I have to
plan and save for one or two long range events per year. Just too many
other commitments to do all the riding events I'd like to do. Oh the
pains of the working class:-) I'll choose the TSRA Rallye East, West, or
both next year. If there is a RAT Rallye in Texas I'll try and make it.
	My RAT membership had just expired last year and I wasn't even aware of
it at the time. Which brings up my RDBP (Rude Dog Bone To Pick). COST,
but not just RAT.
	I wrote a letter to the new AMA president several months ago
complaining about them raising their membership fees from $29.00 to
$39.00. I pointed out that was a big hit to a large section of riders
who never see the physical impact their buck produces. I'm a little
luckier than a lot of riders but to someone making $10-12 per hour
that's almost a day's work after taxes, etc. In addition, they could
probably increase membership by lowering the membership fees instead of
raising them. Numbers influence Washington a lot and we're not going to
buy them off as often happens. I did receive a nice letter back
explaining away my concerns. But, I did get a letter in a weeks time.
	What do you get in RAT for $40.00 a year? As I see it you get four
magazines that are nicely done but short on really needed information
for maintenance, improvements, setup, etc. You also get to attend a RAT
event at a reduced rate if one is close. When I checked on insurance I
was quoted two hundred dollars more per year. Not much bang for the buck
again.
	If you add up AMA membership $39.00, plus RAT $40.00 you've spent
eighty bucks. And you haven't even spent your meager $10.00 on TSRA
membership yet plus any other clubs you might be interested in.
	We discussed cost several times when we set the TSRA membership fee. We
wanted it low.
	How many more AMA and RAT members do you think they would have if the
cost were lower? If there were a 20% membership increase would it be
worth it? How about 30% or 50%?
	PS: Greg was hit in an intersection by a red light runner that tore his
bike in half a few weeks before the Rallye. Fortunately, considering the
damage to the bike, Greg only received a broken arm and bruises and is
hopefully healing well. God was riding with Greg that day and took care
of him. Get well Greg.
	RAT = Riders of American Triumphs?

Jack "Rude Dog" Hays
"I'll see you on the dark side of the moon"