for Jim G. - lower gearing

 >> an alternative to changing cans is to replace the front 19-tooth
sprocket with a 17-tooth.<<

 >>> there's not much point in lowering the gearing on a road bike
unless first gear is too low <<<

    Oh God,... here I go again. Unhesitatingly stepping out onto the
wire without a net.

    Because I consider my RS to be geared too HIGH (I'm using 1st to
climb switchbacks for which I use 2nd on my other bikes) I may
increase the number of teeth on the rear sprocket to gear it DOWN.
This will result in a (numerically higher ratio) LOWER overall
gearing. The abrupt throttle response in 1st unsettles the chassis in
the tight corners and 2nd would be much more user friendly.

                          Please don't shoot the messenger;

                                   doggydo   - - - o%\o