Re: Sigma BC800

Keith Peters wrote:

> I've just ordered the Sigma and am now trying to locate a button magnet
(as
> per the instructions on the web page). Homebase and B&Q don't stock any.
> RS and Farnell don't seem to sell them.
>
> Does anyone in the UK know where I can locate one ?

Best thing to do is find a good old-fashioned ironmongers/hardware shop and
take the rod magnet that comes with the BC800 to the shop.  They usually
have a bin of odd magnets somewhere and will let you rake through it until
you find a button magnet that is magnetic on both sides (check it using one
end of the rod magnet).  This is important - most of the button magnets,
fridge magnets etc I found when looking for mine were only magnetic on one
side - both North and South poles are on the same side, the BC800 pickup
sees both poles and adds them together to get zero field = zero speed.
There's a good ironmongers near the West End in Edinburgh if you happen to
be passing!

Neil