Re: 17-tooth front vs. Race Can

Ken,

An alternative to changing cans is to replace the front 19-tooth
sprocket with a 17-tooth.  This requires breaking the chain and
removing a link.  It will increase chain wear some.  And it will
reduce top speed down to 135 or so.

But by letting the engine rev more in "normal" riding, it produces
a big "power increase".  The bike handles uphill hairpins and
such beautifully without lugging.

If you ride a lot of mountains and twisties you would really like
the 17-tooth. And it's quiet, too.  If you do a lot of track days or
interstate highways, then it's probably not such a good thing.

I rode an RS with the race can and it was my impression (and the owners)
that it helped low-rev power some.  It will certainly help high-rev power.
It sounds great, but it is a bit loud and might attract hostility.

The 17-tooth really works great for me.  Seems like I never lug the bike
any more.

- -Don Draper, Jr.