re:engine noise at low rpm

my bike makes a rattle noise such that i thought it was either engine noise
or a hardware rattle that only rattles at the vibration level the bike makes
at low rpm.  once again, i have read the posts about keeping it spinning,
which i admit sometimes is hard to do in traffic when it is very hot out.
also, for the last thirty years i have ridden twins only which do not dig on
being revved all the time.  anyway, the sound goes away when it hits 3500 to
4000 rpm.  I found it much easier to keep the revs up on the road and in the
mountains!   The sprint st definitely kept up with my bmw riding buddies and
i worked a lot less in the twisties. as long as this noise is normal i love
the bike. never  burns oil, gets great mileage no matter how hard i wring it
out.