Re: Speedo drive - Is this a first?

At 02:45 PM 8/31/00 -0500, Robert L. Fastner wrote:
>Hi
>     Yesterday my speedo (meter, not swimsuit) and odo stopped working. I
>removed the wheel and found the rotating magnet had shattered.

>>magnet ? Are you talking about the notched (ceramic?) piece mounted on the
>>wheel or the actual unit on the end of the cable ? (sorry for the lack of
>>the official terminology).

>>There has been a few, but I thought it was the tabs on >>the speedo drive
>>that were breaking off - not the hub shattering.

>>Can anyone else that has lost the speedo, comment on >>which piece they
had
>>problems with ?

>>FWIW I found that it does take a little playing to get >>both pieces lined
>>up. I can also see where the two might not be mated properly, but still
>>allow the wheel to be installed. I would assume that this is where the
>>problem begins.

>>- - Eric

Hi,
    The magnet is (was- now it is chunky style) a cylinder inside the speedo
drive. It rotates around the metal spacer which is part of the speedo drive
body. The magnet mates with the metal tabs inside the wheel when installed.
I added some bearing grease and thought I had it lined up as it dropped in
flush. If you look at the body of the drive unit, there are two areas that
look like they will anchor the drive unit on the boss on the right-side fork
leg. The correct one is the smaller. I incorrectly chose the larger one. I
thought the cable (wires) were routed funny when I reinstalled. They SHOULD
exit behind the fork leg. I wish I had noted this better, but it was hours
between when I removed it and replaced it. After the magnet fragged, the
speedo drive was very slightly cocked in the wheel, but it doesn't look bad
(the plastic) inside, save for the magnet, which was easy to remove (in
pieces). Unfortunately, I am told the magnet is part of the drive unit and
is not a separate piece. It doesn't pay to hurry, even if you ache to get
back out and ride. You can bet I will not screw this up again. DUH!
Ciao,
Bob - '99 red ST

- ------ http://USFamily.Net/info - Unlimited Internet - From $7.99/mo! ------