Re: Speedo drive - Is this a first?

At 02:45 PM 8/31/00 -0500, Robert L. Fastner wrote:
>Hi
>     Yesterday my speedo (meter, not swimsuit) and odo stopped working. I
>removed the wheel and found the rotating magnet had shattered.

magnet ? Are you talking about the notched (ceramic?) piece mounted on the
wheel or the actual unit on the end of the cable ? (sorry for the lack of
the official terminology).

There has been a few, but I thought it was the tabs on the speedo drive
that were breaking off - not the hub shattering.

Can anyone else that has lost the speedo, comment on which piece they had
problems with ?

FWIW I found that it does take a little playing to get both pieces lined
up. I can also see where the two might not be mated properly, but still
allow the wheel to be installed. I would assume that this is where the
problem begins.

- - Eric