Re: 70 miles .. .and counting.

Michael Harris wrote:

> Okay - some questions occurred to me.  Bike riders acknowledge each other
> right?  A wave is customary (as I found yesterday).  But how about Harley
> riders?

They don't seem to wave as much as other riders -- especially if you're
not on a cruiser. I figure they're just afraid to take a hand off of the
bars. :-)

> On the delivery oil used during break-in thread, my dealer told me my RS
> was serviced with Synthetic oil right from new (I specifically asked).

Yes, your bike is *serviced* with synthetic, but it comes with dead
dinos in the case from the factory. This is the "breaking in oil" that
gets changed out for synthetic at the 500 mile service.

It used to be that you had to run an engine for thousands of miles on
conventional oils before switching to synthetics, otherwise the rings,
etc., wouldn't seat properly. However, two things have happened since
then. First, some engines don't need seating time -- they're either
delivered already run-in, or they're specially designed. (The modern
Corvette is one example that gets shipped and serviced with Mobil 1 from
day one.) The other is that some engines, like Triumph's, come with a
special oil that reduces the amount of time it normally takes for the
engine to seat.

> My bike also takes a bit of cranking before starting when the engine is
> very cold.

Like Kathy said, make sure you wait until the fuel pump has a chance to
fully pressurize before you hit the starter. Also, make sure you turn
off the engine with the key, not the kill switch. If you follow both of
these recommendations the engine should start after 3-4 revs. If it
doesn't, you probably need to have the CO2 levels set by your dealer
using an exhaust gas analyizer.

> I'd also like recommendations on chain lube.

Oh no -- not this topic! :-) Search the archives for prior endless
discussion: <http://www.seaotter.com/searchst.html>.

- --
Blake "Dawgbert" Sobiloff <sobiloff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Burlingame, CA, USA