license plate bracket

i can't believe i keep forgetting to ask this one.

when i showed up at my dealer to pick up the bike a couple
of weeks ago, plate in hand, he took it, and with a somewhat
fallen face, said "oh, yeah -- there's a slight problem here.
we're going to have to drill holes through your license plate",
as he showed me the bare rear fender of my RS.  no bracket.  nothing
to attach to.  i was a little surprised, but suggested that instead
we use zipties to hang it from the signal stalks, and he did that,
along with some double sided tape.  he said he was getting some
brackets from a local bmw dealer soon, but that the triumphs "come
like that".

is this true?  i'm kind of shocked.

in the meantime, i'm thinking of getting one of those "Helmet Guardian"
gizmos (www.sporttouringusa.com) which would solve both the bracket
and the helmet lock problem in one shot.  any thoughts?  (i might also
just make my own bracket, one long enough to put some small holes in
the ends, and notches on the top, to hang a helmet from and lock it
with a small padlock.)

paul