Re: oil leak

From: Stuart Feldt
<snip>Theory is that an incorrect oil filter was installed by
>another dealer, causing blow by (or something like that).  Picked the
>bike today and charges me $130.  Says to work it out with the other
>dealer.  Guess what, the leak is back with a new triumph filter.  Any
>help?<

Ouch! More than the mechanical problem, it seems you've been had by a dealer
also. That whole issue should have been fully covered by warranty,
regardless of which dealer worked on it, provided both are authorized
Triumph dealers.

I'd suggest holding onto ALL the paprework on that repair (which didn't
work). You should be fully reimbursed for that expense, and shouldn't have
been billed in the first place.

As to the leak, very doubtful that it had anything at all to do with a
filter. Rather, I'd suspect crankcase ventilation routing. Worst case, the
engine has true blow-by, which is a condition of gases passing by the piston
rings and thereby pushing oil out through the crankcase ventilation system.

Find a GOOD dealer who knows what they're doing and will cover the repairs
under warranty, as they should.

Ken M.
'00 RS