Re: Airborne

Bummer, Lance! Glad to hear you didn't get hurt, though.

"Lance LaCerte, Psy.D." wrote:

> Here's the issue/question:  My last crash was about 8 years ago (i.e., I
> don't remember how I went about this re: the insurance company) and since I
> do most of my own work, I plan on contacting my insurance, but ordering the
> parts and doing my own labor replacing them.

I, too, use State Farm, and while I've never had a motorcycle accident
(knock on wood!), I have had a couple of car accidents with them.
Generally, they have their own adjusters who want to examine your car
and make a damage determination/estimate. It's mainly a visual estimate,
though, and they realize they frequently miss hidden damage that can't
be determined until all the broken bits are removed, the vehicle is put
on an alignment rack, etc. This is where your dealer can step in and say
"Hey, we can't just bend the fairing brackets back into shape, they need
to be replaced." I don't know if State Farm will just take your word for
it when it comes to this hidden damage, so it may be to your benefit to
have a dealer do the inspection and provide an estimate (probably for a
small fee, assuming they aren't going to get to do any of the work).

State Farm typically cuts a two-party check to you and your repair shop
of choice, but if you're doing the work yourself, they may just cut it
to you alone.

Good luck!

- --
Blake "Dawgbert" Sobiloff <sobiloff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>