Rear tyre tread depth

Does anyone in the UK have a nifty way of checking whether the back (and
front) tyre is still legal?
When I lived abroad, I learned to use different coins to check the depth
left, but unfortunately coins aren't universal.
I have done 8,000 miles on mine and something tells me it's soon time for a
change, though the front looks like it's got loads of wear left.
I'm not even sure where to look for the actual legal specifications of tyre
roadworthiness - is it the Highway Code?

Ignorance is bliss (till you drive over a banana skin)

Tim