Veto Alarm (was Re: Bike not idling)

"Neil Lindsey" wrote:

> Could you elaborate on this a bit more please?
> By 'activating' do you mean 'false alarming' or does this somehow prevent
> arming?
> I don't have this alarm installed, but would like to understand in case I
> decide to go for it.

The Veto alarm arms itself automatically 30 seconds after you switch off the
ignition.  It has a motion sensor that makes the alarm sound if the bike
wobbles, but you can disable the motion sensor if you put the alarm in ferry
mode.

If you make a short stop to check a map or whatever, you can:
1. switch off the ignition, get off the bike, read the map, disarm the
alarm, get back on the bike and switch on the ignition
or
2. switch off the ignition, wait till the alarm arms (or arm it yourself),
use the remote control to switch it into ferry mode, read the map, disarm
the alarm and switch on the ignition
or
3. hit the kill switch, read the map, turn the kill switch off again

I use 3 as it reduces the wear on the ignition switch and the remote
control.  Some people have mentioned that the kill switch is not designed
for repeated use, but I can't see any difference between it and the
headlight dip/main beam switch (apart from colour!) so I believe it should
be robust enough.  Using the kill switch has not made the bike run rough so
far (although it did make the bike not run at all once, when I forgot to
switch it on again - duh!  Thought I'd get that in before Jonathan did).

Would I buy the Veto alarm again?  Yes.  I live in Germany and it probably
is less necessary here as bike theft is lower, but when I move back to the
UK, I will definitely feel better about having it.  It doesn't take long to
get used to working the alarm.

Neil