Re: suspension woes

You are right about the stock settings being too stiff for you.

The "soft" settings in the owners manual are a good place to
start.  It's easy to change settings, you'll need a big flathead
screwdriver, a small flathead screwdriver, and something to
adjust the front suspension with.  A big screwdriver will work,
but will tear up the slots.  I'd recommend hunting around for
a better tool which doesn't require taking off the brake reservior.

I'm currently using a measuring spoon, but I think a key blank of
the right size and thickness would be perfect.

Also, tire pressures matter a lot.  The recommended pressures make
for a harsh, bouncy  ride.  Some say don't run lower pressure to change the
ride.   I disagree.  And you only need the back tire at the recommended
presssure for 2-up riding.

I like 35 lb front / 38 lb rear @ 70 degrees F.

It takes some experimentation to get the settings just right for you.
But it's very easy once you get started, and pays off with a much-improved
ride.

- -Don "Blue Dawg" Draper
2000 Sprint RS, Blue