suspension woes

To get off of the riser subject, the other problem I'm having
with my RS is that the suspension is not set up right for me.
In fact, at highway speeds, it's downright punishing and bumps
push me right out of the saddle.  I suspect it's set up for an
average weight guy and since I weigh around 135-140 (depending
how big a burrito I eat for lunch :-) ), I think it needs to
be softened a bit.

So -- I've never messed with suspension settings at all.  I've
had my VFR forks redone once with Race Tech, but someone else
did the work.  Can I get some pointers on what would be the
best thing to initially try, starting from stock?  Or would I
be better off going to my dealer and having them mess with it?

For the most part, the harshness it at freeway speeds.  It's somewhat
harsh at low speeds, but it's not unnerving like on the freeway.
It feels like it's mostly the back end, but even the front end
feels someewhat skittery with bumps (my tires are 36 front/38 back,
so they're not overinflated).

Thanks for the help.

Kathy

'00 Sprint RS