Tyre Gauge

Barry at 20:39 03/10/00 , you wrote:
>Today I think I've worked out why I've had two punctures in 2400 miles.
>
>I got my workshop to triple-check the pressure (all 3 of their Snap-On
>gauges matched to within 1 psi) in the new tyre, so I was sure it was 42
>psi. My 'trusted' home gauge said 47!
>
>So using it at 42 means I've actually been running very low, probably for
>months or maybe even years. An expensive lesson in something or other ...

I had the opposite problem of a 'trusted' gauge that read low by around 5
psi. Only found out when I replaced the BT57 with Avons and had a problem
with the valve. Bought another gauge which was marked as accurate to +/- 1
psi. Big improvement. Now counting myself lucky that I didn't have major
problems since I went two up fully loaded to France with pressures over the
tyre's maximum recommended.

So how long does a guaranteed to +/- 1 psi gauge stay this accurate as most
other calibrated items need calibrating every so often.

Keith W Peters
Wrexham. UK

"Cymraeg Dawg @ Long Tail (00 Blue ST)