Re: luggage: RS vs. ST

At 08:45 PM 10/3/00 -0400, Paul Fox wrote:
>i asked a salesguy at a dealership today whether the hard bags would
>go on either bike, and was told, "uh huh, sure".  which leaves me right
>where i was before, with no information.  :-)

Well, the topbox will.....

>  looking under the rear
>fenders of both models makes me think that whatever frame/brackets is
>used on the ST should work on the RS.  can anyone verify/disagree?

Well, I can not verify with 100% accuracy, but here are my thoughts.

1st - the bags aren't listed as an accessory for the RS. Doesn't mean that
you can't use them, but I can guarantee with almost certainty that they
will not bolt right on.

2nd - the rear fairing on the ST has an indentation cut in the underside
where the bracket attaches to the frame. I don't remember similar
indentations on the RS which would then mean cutting the rear fairing.

3rd - the RS and ST list different part numbers for the rear rack for the
topbox. As the plate is the same (where the top box mounts) the difference
must be on the mounting points to the frame. If this is true then the
subframes on both bikes are probably different.

- - Eric