fuel pump cover and fuel senders.

I kind of blew over the many topics on the fuel
senders going around until I also noticed a fuel leak
on my 3500 mile RS.  As most, it wasn't a major spill,
but enough to create a descent puddle at the bottom of
the bike and throughout the cabling.

Mine occurred when I first started the bike, as the
pump started whining.   I've noticed that others
members complained that the leak occurred after
leaving their bike and noticing it the next day.

Anyway, I looked within the bike and noticed a great
deal of fuel coming out "around" the fuel pump
mounting plate (Kind of hard to tell).  I'm not sure
if this was related to 1) leaving the bike outside
while camping and starting it in colder than normal
temperatures (ie. normal from San Diego Temp) which
could of contracted the seals or 2) I tightened two of
the lower bolts.

So what I wanted to find out is where is the fuel
sender in relation this plate?  What does it look
like?

Has anyone else reported seeing fuel from around this
plate or could it be my fuel sender and fuel just
splattered all over it?

I typically don't like taking my bike for service
until I can repeatedly show the problem but I'm kind
of concerned of this one.  How immediate and how
serious where other members fuel problems prior to
having dealer checking it out?

One more question...How many miles do others go prior
to the reserve light going on?  Mine goes on around
180 miles.

I'll be going to the Del Mar Vintage show this weekend
(assuming my bike isn't in flames by then) and you can
bet I'll be talking to Triumph regarding these fuel
issues I've read about.  How difficult can it be!

Thanks again.
George
'00 RS (l-orange)