Books on Endurance Riding; SS1000

Folks,

I've been reading the recent posts on the SS1000 and the good advice on
endurance riding from a number of our members.  There are a couple of
excellent books on the subject that some of you may not be familiar with and
that I can highly recommend.  They are both first-person accounts by the
renowned American endurance rider Ron Ayres (who now resides in
Johannesburg, South Africa).

The first book is 'Against the Wind', an account of Ron's participation in
the 1995 Iron Butt Rally. ( Whitehorse Press, 1997, softcover, 237 pages,
ISBN 1-884313-09-4).

The second book is 'Against the Clock', Ron's account of his record-breaking
7/49 (49 states in 7 days!). (Whitehorse Press, 1999, softcover, 256 pages,
ISBN 1-884313-19-1).

Both books provide a wealth of detail in terms of bike and mental
preparation and helped answer my question of : 'what motivates a
motorcyclist to ride 1,000 mile days on 2-3 hours of sleep a night?"  I
would highly recommend both titles if you have even a slight interest in the
subject of endurance riding;  it certainly gave me a greater appreciation of
the riders that participate in these events.

Both books cost $US 19.95, and can be ordered on-line from Whitehorse Press:
www.whitehorsepress.com.
Be sure to request their free catalogue from their website;  they have
hundreds of motorcycling books and videos.  I order from them regularly, and
their customer service is excellent!   I usually receive the books I've
ordered in Canada within 7-10 days.

Finally, Ron Ayres has his own website, which is also definitely worth a
visit:  www.ronayres.com.

Regards,

Paul Wilson
Toronto, Canada