how many ftlbs of torque is 55nm

 Can some one tell me how many foot pounds 55nanometers are . I just finished
tightening my chain, the owners manual gives tolerance in both metric and
inches then gives torque in nm. what the hell is a nanometer? I guess im
showing my age but when i went to school metric wasnt around and i dont have
a clue . wish metric never happened are system is much easyer. My torque
wrench only reads in ftlbs, its so easy to firgure inch pounds to footpounds
but what the hell is this nanometer.    thanks pete