screws, tyres and rear brake

I wanted to say thanks to many on the list for all of the information I
recieved for finding tyres online.  Tiresunlimited quotes around $100 for a
new 57.  I assume there's no difference between a standard 57 and an OEM 57,
eh?

Now for my rear brake...My bike only has 8350 miles and since the last day
or so, I find that the rear brake has a scratchy feeling to it.  As
instructed, I use a combination of both the front and rear brakes and apply
down shifting, all of which depends on the situation and time needed for
slow down, etc.  Is there anything I should check into?  Would this possibly
be a warrantee issue?  Should I now focus my attention on doing stoppies
(instructions please)?

TIA,

Stephen Penick --soon to be Puppy Dawg if my membership check doesn't bounce
Unigraphics Solutions
SAP Implementation Team