Re: Pipe Construction Questions

On Tue, 21 Mar 2000, Richard & Lisa White wrote:

> Lisa and I are trying to make a decision about pipes by this weekend but
> still have a couple questions before I make the final decision.  I do
> not know much about pipes, but have had a number of people comment that
> "the D&D and Two Bros pipes are constructed with glass packing vs the
> staintune and Triumph pipes that are completely stainless" and that
> "pipes with glass packing require re-packing or replacing every 10,000
> miles or so".  This would indicate the D&D pipes require more
> maintenance vs the staintune and Triumph pipes.
>
> My dealer on the other hand is selling D&D pipes and says that all pipes
> have glass packing.  Can anyone comment on this, especially in regards
> to the Triupmph stainless and Carbon pipes (Staintune have already
> responded that their pipes are all stainless).  Lisa and I ride over
> 15000 miles per year and it would be prohibitive to replace pipes every
> 9 months.

I do not have D&D on a ST, but I do on my 9r, I do not know if you
would want D&D on your ST. Not that D&D creates a substandard sound,
often at bike gatherings a couple of guys will rev up there bikes
with various pipes, all proud of themselves. Then I rev mine and
they bow to me. Extreemly sexy sound! The problem is there is FAR
FAR too much of it.

When the 9r was stock all you could here was the chain, unless you
really got on it, now its like "What chain, I think its a shafty
now"

I might be taking my 9 for a long trip this spring and I am concerned
about the level of sound. And D&D only has two or three sizes of
Canisters, and I got the largest, I could go louder.

BTW, I have actually seem there shop, and saw them doing some dyno
work on a ZXR1100 and a Hardley. They are located in Fort Worth,
so if you want to support business in TX, go for the D&D, but do
not forget the ear plugs.

As well I have the Carbon fiber can, and it looks great.

Thomas

Thomas Emberson  <Thomas@xxxxxxx>
QNX Software Systems Inc.
15301 Spectrum Drive, Suite 406, Addison TX, 75001
(972) 851-6945 (voice)  (972) 851-6944 (fax)