Re: Sprint vs. Trophy

Trask
It's now over a year since I sold my Trophy, and I'm on my second Sprint
(see earlier threads!)
I would say that in some respects the T. was definitely more comfortable, as
the position was more upright, specially for longer distances and touring.
In addition, the tall (ugly) screen warded off most anything by way of the
elements, flying objects, winds, rain and so on.
However, I found the T. very top-heavy and had two spills on it. Braking was
pretty good, but the back wheel had a tendency to slide out from under you
on soft or slippery surfaces like grass or snow.
The fuel gauge was pretty reliable and it had a reserve tank - things to
bear in mind when comparing with the ST.
But I would never go back to the T. now, having had two sprints. I get the
same carrying capacity with my hard luggage and top rack and better mileage
from the ST. In addition, I feel much safer cornering and speeding, as well
as braking, on the ST - and the two times I did go back to the T. (before I
sold it and had to drive it back to the dealer's abroad), it proved to be a
very odd sensation - cumbersome, unsexy, heavy-handling and generally
uninspiring - kind of like driving a wheelbarrow.
Maybe I just grew out of the T. and needed something more challenging.
Certainly the T. has advantages - the dashboard is easier to read in many
ways (particularly clock and mileometer).
But all in all, give me the ST any day.
In terms of warranty, I had to have the front disc brakes done twice, as
they seemed to warp and distort within the first 1000 km. This was all done
free.
Can't help you with the Katana - never had one!
Tim