Re: Soft Luggage

- --------------3FF9ED7A1B411B5E21483649

I use soft luggage (Chase Harper) mainly due to aesthetics, because 1) I
only use luggage 2 or 3 times a year for trips, 2) I don't like
saddlebags on the bike unless I need them (and I don't use the ST for
grocery shopping, etc) and 3) I really despise the look of the pannier
brackets when the bags are not attached, not to mention the low mounted
exhaust which looks "wrong" to me.  However, if Triumph designed a
hidden pannier mounting system as found on the Honda ST1100, I'd have
hard bags, no question.  I think it is highly unlikely Triumph would
design such a system for the ST as the Trophy would be the likely
candidate for that.  Also, if I used luggage often, I would go with the
hard bags.

GG

rgw wrote:

> I'm delighted to say that I have just ordered a new black ST. I have
> been a member of this list for a couple of weeks now and I enjoy the
> information and opinions, though I don't know for how long I'll be
> able to read 50+ email messages per day. I am having difficulty
> deciding on whether to go for soft or hard luggage. I'm sure hard has
> greater capacity and is more waterproof etc., but the throw-over
> panniers are a little more subtle. Does anyone have any
> comments? Regards, Robert WilsonLondon, UK

- --------------3FF9ED7A1B411B5E21483649

I use soft luggage (Chase Harper) mainly due to aesthetics, because 1)
I only use luggage 2 or 3 times a year for trips, 2) I don't like saddlebags
on the bike unless I need them (and I don't use the ST for grocery shopping,
etc) and 3) I really despise the look of the pannier brackets when the
bags are not attached, not to mention the low mounted exhaust which looks
"wrong" to me.&nbsp; However, if Triumph designed a hidden pannier mounting
system as found on the Honda ST1100, I'd have hard bags, no question.&nbsp;
I think it is highly unlikely Triumph would design such a system for the
ST as the Trophy would be the likely candidate for that.&nbsp; Also, if
I used luggage often, I would go with the hard bags.
I'm delighted to say that I have
just ordered a new black ST.&nbsp;I have been a member of this list for
a couple of weeks now and I enjoy the information and opinions, though
I don't know for how long I'll be able to read 50+ email messages per day.&nbsp;I
am having difficulty deciding on whether to go for soft or hard luggage.
I'm sure hard has greater capacity and is more waterproof etc., but the
throw-over panniers are a little more subtle.&nbsp;Does anyone have any
comments?&nbsp;Regards,&nbsp;Robert WilsonLondon, UK&nbsp;</blockquote>

- --------------3FF9ED7A1B411B5E21483649--