Fatality stats

As an addition to the debate about using/not using high beam or other
lights...

I started riding bikes in London in fairly narrow streets with a lot of
parked cars.  I decided after a couple of people had nearly pulled out of
side roads in front of me that the colour of my helmet (white) was more
important than having my lights on - partly because the lights on my first
bike were rubbish, but mainly because the helmet is the only thing visible
above the line of parked cars as you come up to a junction.  The moving
white helmet catches drivers' eyes before they have moved far enough past
the parked cars to see the bike's lights.  Dayglo would be good too, but
colours such as blue or red don't stand out against a jumble of different
colours of parked cars.

Something to think about for anyone who has a black/blue/dark red helmet to
match their bike...

Neil