Freeways

>>> Now you Europeans are much more civilized, at least from what I saw
>>> while driving in England.

    I'm guessing that you didn't do much driving in London :-)

>>> Even though the speed limit on the M's is 70, it didn't appear to be
>>> enforced.

    You can get away with speeding on the motorway most of the time.
Most of the time....  Foreigners can probably get away with more, as
British traffic law is aimed entirely at us citizens.  If you're a bit
over the limit (up to about 30mph over) you'll have penalty points added
to your license; if you collect 12 points in three years you lose your
license for a minimum of six months (I think).  If you're a lot over the
limit you will go to court where you can be banned immediately and fined
up to GBP1000 (I think the fine is going up).  If you're *way* over the
limit you can go to jail.

    But all these penalties have to be at least rubber-stamped in court;
there are no on-the-spot fines and about all they can do to drivers on
foreign licenses is say "don't do it again".

>>> However what I really liked was the adherence to the rule of using
>>> the faster lanes for passing only. You picked the lane with the
>>> comfortable speed for you. People on one side are going faster,
>>> people on the other side are going slower, and none of the "weaving
>>> in and out so I can get to work 5 seconds faster than you" mentality
>>> that we have to put up with in the states.

    You *definitely* didn't do much driving in London!

                Jim
- --
       jim@       ,'_                man, I need to find a job that pays
  gillespie.org  / -.--.    ___      more or a hobby that costs less....
 '99 Sprint ST \__/ `---'  \__/                           -- Eric Sheley