Re: Humm....!!!

> So, that dude must be dead of course. Very nasty indeed I'd say. But would
> an aerostitch, chain mail, or even a suite of armor have helped him ? Hard
> to think that 2.7 mm of leather or cordora nylon would have done much.

Well, of course we don't know for sure how the leg would have faired,
but I know that leather or cordura slides on pavement much better than
skin, even if caught between a bike and pavement, so I bet it would have
been in better shape than what you saw.  Even if it was quite bad, the
blood loss could possibly have been controlled, even though he might
have lost a leg. I figure he also had a nasty head injury that could not
be immediately addressed (and could have killed him instantly) since he
also did not have a helmet on!!

On our way through Austin one time, we stopped at a small bike shop
fairly far out of the city.  While there, a big dude came in with scars
on his face and arm, a cast on his leg, a mouth full of bad teeth, and
crutches.  He said he laid over his Yamaha cruiser when a dog ran out in
front of him.  He didn't have a helmet on.  He was BRAGGING, "They said
I should have been DOA a few months ago, by I showed them my head was
hard enough that I don't need no stinking helmet!"  In the next breath
he was talking about how long he had to stay in the hospital and how he
was going to have to file for bankruptcy because he was out of work for
so long. He said the only extra thing he needed on his bike was crash
bars!  All I was thinking was that the arm and head probably would have
come out of the crash just fine (or nearly so) had he been wearing an
appropriate jacket and a helmet. Then he would have only had to deal
with the broken leg, which while certainly causing problems, would have
been much better than dealing with the whole package of injuries!

Lisa