Re: Street luge at the Rallye (was Re: Back) -- Long message

"Thomas Emberson" <thomas@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I would disagree somewhat, personally when I say the grass clippings
> my first reaction was, get the braking done now, ASAP, 'cause if
> I have to go to the right of this cage turning left I am going to
> be in the grass, and I will go down!
>
> If it was not for the grass I would passed the obviously turning
> left cager on the right. With the grass there I stayed to the left
> and came to an almost stop (never had my feet down, but I was barely
> moving)

Stated this way I'd agree that there was an indirect contribution of the
grass clippings to the incident.  What I was trying to get across is that it
was my opinion/belief that he didn't slip on the grass.

> Again, this is all our speculation, I remember the Gentlemen who
> went down saying that he saw another car in the interestion. So
> all we are doing is speculating.

I thought he said you had reported seeing it.  By the time I could see the
intersection it was clear, and the Gentleman in question was behind me so he
couldn't have seen it.

Yes, guessing in hind-sight.  But in my case it is a semi-educated guess --
remember my background.  Certainly nothing that would qualify me for expert
witness status though.

> > So, what was the contributing factor?  In my opinion it was speed -- for
the
> > line-of-sight we were all going too fast.  Three out of four of us in
that
> > grouping were lucky.  The fourth was not.  None of us left adequate time
> > react to unusual circumstances.  And that is exactly what we
encountered.

> yup, probably guilty as charged :-(

Not trying to lay blame or point fingers.  I don't think any one person or
condition (e.g. grass clippings, grease strip, etc.) was to blame.  I think
we were all a bit guilty on this charge.  <sigh>
- --
Bill "Bench Dawg" Flowers
Clearwater FL
'00 Sapphire Blue Triumph Sprint ST "Jewel"

End of st-digest V2000 #436