Re: Wake up America (that fuel sender thing again)

Previously, you (Thomas Emberson) wrote:
> That reminds me, I think it was on Friday, we stopped at a "viewing
> location" and a group of ~4 Harleys and 2 BMWs pulled in. They had
> to do some work around the foot peg area of one of the road kings
> and wound up dropping it.

>>Actually the funny / sad thing was they dropped it on another Road King!

>>I bet that guy's buddy wasn't feeling too friendly toward him after that

    A guy/gal/person could really get hurt trying to right a couple of Road
Kings! I used to own a Harley Superglide and had a buddy with a Sportster.
We went to the State Fair together and parked by some other bikes. When we
came back our bikes were tipped over on each other. The Sportster was up
against my bike which was on the rear wheel and sidestand. The front wheel
was off the ground. Amazingly, no damage!
    Last week I found a small self tapping screw in my 3 day old MEZ4 front
tire and had to mail order a replacement to save a chunk o' change. It's
back on and has about a mile on it as I just got up (work nights). While I
was idled, I was reading the forum and it was mainly Brits and Aussie's and
very short last week. Now it is the "Dawgs" again and very long, plus this
fuel sender problem controversy seems to have really increased the number of
items to read. I have 11K on my fast red '99 ST and aside from working the
sender working erratically, no leaks (knock on wood). Some things that I
would like to know is: Did a shop (or you) service the bike in a fashion
that the fuel sender area is disturbed/touched prior to the leak? Was any
fuel additive (Sta-bil, Sea Foam, gas treatment, etc.) used that might have
affected the sealing material? It seems odd that these things would just
start seeping after a while. I am thinking that maybe these things are
delicate and/or have a sealing material that degrades when something other
than gasoline is in the tank. Since my sender is all right, I want to avoid
whatever causes these things to leak. I find that staying away from service
departments as much as possible is a "good thing" for cars and motorcycles.
    Lastly, I tried to get a throttle lock to use on the bike. The picture
in the accessory/mods of a "Vista Cruise" section is actually a NEP, not a
Vista Cruise. They are both made by Sound Off Recreation. A Vista Cruise
does not fit, and would require modifying the throttle barrel (cutting off
flanges), grip (ditto) and switch body and throttle lock (creating an anchor
point). I will have to save my shekels for a Throttlemeister, I guess.
Ciao,
Bob - back on the road again

- ------ http://USFamily.Net/info - Unlimited Internet - From $7.99/mo! ------