Saddle sore or saddle sores?

The Rallye was a blast.  I've never ridden roads like that before and I
expect it will be a while before I get a chance to do it again.  As a
still learning rider (when I left I had 4912 miles on the odometer --
I've only been riding just over a year and between the two bikes I've
owned I've only managed 7000 miles prior to the Rallye) it was a
wonderful opportunity to work on my skills.  I was quite pleased when
Dilbert Dawg commented that I had noticeably improved through the
weekend.  I noticed it too as my lines through the turns became smoother
and my time for distance dropped although I wasn't leaning heavier on
the throttle.  I also finally wore the tires right to the edge!

A big thanks to all involved in organizing this wonderful event.  And
also to my riding "buddies": Eric & Jamie, Eric Miner, Thomas (of the
ZX-9r -- you've got a year to get the right bike), John, and 2 others on
Saturday whose names I didn't catch (sorry).

I managed the ride home (680 miles) in a single day -- my longest trip
to date.  It took 14:20, but I chose the roads badly and my first 70
miles took 2 hours!  Fun road, but not designed to make miles.

If you recall, I limped into the dining room Saturday night with my left
hip locked up.  I'm happy to report I didn't have the same problem -- at
least not to the same extent -- on the longer ride home.  Maybe I'm
finally getting used to long rides on this bike.

I did have one problem with all the riding I did, likely compounded by
the extreme heat and humidity I rode through both to and from the
Rallye.  (The thermometer on my handle bars read 120F riding to the
Rallye, and 100F riding home.) By the time I arrived home my backside
and the upper part of the back of my thighs was a mass of small blisters
caused by heat rash! To say that I was in pain was an understatement!

Days later I'm as itchy as all get-out as they heal and the scabs fall
off.

So how do the rest of the long-distance crazies on this list cope with
long distances in extreme heat and humidity? I noticed someone had a
bead seat cushion on their ST at the Rallye.

Maybe it is the riding jeans I wear? The kevlar in the butt does seem to
trap heat.

I really need some help in solving this problem if I ever want to take a
long ride again.

- --
Bill "Bench Dawg" Flowers
Clearwater FL