Re: Near miss

Jedi Dawg wrote:

> I've had a bird strike on my left shoulder at 70 mph - something a lot
smaller
> than a buzzard, probably just a pound or two. While it didn't hurt
through my
> leathers, it does make for some interesting riding for a few seconds
afterward.
> It was night, so I didn't see it coming 'til far too late to do
anything but
> get my head out of it's way.

I hit a barn swallow on the way back from the STAR '00 in Avon.  Dirty
Dawg watched it hit my helmet and then miraculously recover and fly on
its merry way.  It didn't feel like much at 70 mph, but they only weigh
about 60 grams (2 oz).  However, many years ago, I did get hit by a much
heavier bird (pigeon) that swooped down from an overpass.  I think I was
doing about 50 or 55 mph.  It hit me in my chest and nearly knocked the
wind out of me.  I had to stop to recover... the bird was D.O.A.

GG
"Wiener Dawg"