ST v RS

Thanks to everyone for the continuing comments.

Last Friday afternoon I set up test rides on both at Carl Rosners in London.

I tried the ST first, around a 25 mile loop that included town congestion, open and twisty country roads and fast dual carriageway, keeping my old VFR very much in mind.  It was beautiful! Very similar to the old VFR, but more nimble and without the power hole at 5000 the old carburetter 750 had. Yum. Comfort was good. It would sit up a bit braking into bends, but the forks weren't too bad. The fuelling/ignition was beautiful everywhere. In fact I couldn't fault it, other than that it was almost too similar to the VFR, too civilised and 'Japanese' in feel.

I got back to Carl with a big grin on my face, then jumped straight on the RS. Which was even better! It felt noticeably lighter and was more flickable on the country lanes, but also held it's line on long fast bends better, feeling very solid and reassuring. Suspension wasn't noticeably harsher. The sound  was superb. The engine also felt quicker (I thought they were the same?).  Maybe just lower mass and better head-down aerodynamics? The mirrors were indeed useless though - hasn't anyone found a better replacement yet? And the leaning forward riding position did give me neck and wrist aches which would on along run I'm sure have turned into pain in slow traffic. But the engine was lovely in traffic, easily purring along at 30 mph in top like a contented tiger. It also ran hotter, with the fan cutting in as I stopped at Carl's ... or was that due to the way I'd been riding? ;-)

Both bikes had the off-road carbon-wrapped can and updated mapping. But the RS sounded louder (and more gorgeous) and went quicker. How can that be? Are the cans/maps different? Both bikes also had really notchy gearboxes, including trouble finding neutral, which I understand is normal ... and will ease as they run in? The ST had BT57s on, the RS had the new BT020s. I couldn't tell the difference.

So I got back to Carl with an even bigger grin. Since talking to you guys, and especially to Don, I reckon I can have my cake and eat it too - by buying the more involving RS but fitting ST bars to it. So that's just what I want to do.

Wife and bank manager allowing, that is ...

I'm now concerned about getting a good deal. Carl has been advertising the RS at the 'new' official price for some time already, but I reckon that now the official price has dropped he ought to come down some more. The best he'll offer is £4000 plus the 'bird on a new stock RS, a rather disappointing trade-in value, but I _may_ be able to snaffle the 300-mile demo (with can) for less. I'll let you know how I get on.

Barry
PS. Anyone in the UK want a nice black 95 Thunderbird? Or a nice black 88 650 Bros/Hawk? They've both gotta go!