Re: ST v RS feedback

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

	First Jim:

> If you want to raise the bars you'll have to go for the ST
> GenMar risers are a bit too tall for the RS
> have your dealer download the new map to your computer
> the RS might be touch better at twisty fun rides while the ST has the edge
> on touring,

I was hoping you'd say that, the ST bars looked like they'd go straight on. But are you saying that if I put the risers on _as well_ then I may get fairing clearance problems? I ask because even stock ST/VFR bars give my wrist trouble these days. Tempting thought! Has anybody on the list played about with the electronics themselves? Or do you leave well alone? I've never had an injected bike before. At the moment I do more of the twisties, but then again I'd probably do more touring if I had the bike for it. Hmmm ....

	Next, Martin:

> follow your heart every time.
> talk to Don Draper about making an RS more comfy.

Well yes, I already know which one I WANT, but being a logical scientist sort of bloke I feel obliged to rationalise the decision! Ah yes, I know Don from the Triumph digest. Shy?

	Next, thanks to David:

> I paid for then engine I want to see it,
> comfortable
> digital display
> higher pegs
> THE BRAKES
> lets you run ANY GIVI bag - Don Draper on the list has this set-up
> single sided swingarm looks cool,

Yes, I actually prefer my bikes naked generally, but practicality insists on a half-fairing at least, and I like that 'VTR' look. Comfort is my main concern these (arthritic) days. Never had digital before either. Yum. Comfortable pegs? Looking forward to those brakes! If I go for hard luggage at all it must be easily detachable. Is the STs? I've had single siders, on my VFR and my Bros, and to be truthful found the benefits marginal. But yes it LOOKS cool.

	Thanks to Howard:

> Bars are slightly lower and forward on the RS.
> Mirrors on the RS are not very functional.
> Front forks are stiffer/better on the RS.
> The [ST] panniers are the BEST in the business.
> You won't regret the purchase of either bike, I prefer the ST.

Seems the bars may be fixable. Has anyone on the list found a fix for mirrors? I do like to see what's going on. I found my VFR a bit soggy on the twisties, so I don't mind sacrificing a bit of comfort for better handling (and a bigger safety margin). As long as it's not a bone-shaker? ST lugggage capacity? Will they take a full-face? Water-tightness? Quick-release? You're a great help ;-)  No actually you are - it sounds as if you like the ST for much the same reasons I liked my VFR, the difference being that since I've had one already I don't want a clone, however good. I also prefer my bikes to have a raw edge!

	Hi Donny:

> I've been thrilled with the bike but since I wanted a sport-tourer
> the ST bars bolt right on to the RS
> GIVI E28s using Thunderbike's adapters
> Zero Gravity sport touring screen for the RS
> I'm going to put Gen-Mar risers under them to get it just a little better for me;
> it requires just rotating the throttle housing a little to clear the screen.
> I've uploaded a picture to the this website for your edification.

At last! I've been hoping you'd talk about yours ever since you announced it on Steve's list. Thanks for the pic. That's a beauty. The bars look fine - maybe, what, an inch higher? Did you need longer cables? The panniers also look great - are they QD, and just how much clearance is there really over that exhaust (it looks real close)? Did you have to get the brackets from John Fitzthingummy in NZ? I like the high screen too, though I'd probably choose black/smoked. How's the turbulence? Did you fit that grab-rail? Are you happy with the red? I can't decide between the red or the yellow! Those look like stock mirrors - how are you getting on with them? Is that the stock can, and is it loud enough? I like loud! While you're talking, how are you getting on with the rumoured heavyish clutch and the highish footpegs? As you can probably tell, the RS is the look I want, even though I want ST comfort levels. You look as if you'll understand why. If you have more pics or comments please send them, direct if you like, to
barry_croft@xxxxxxxxxxx

	Finally, thanks to Karle:

> I've had my RS for about 3 weeks now.
> the ST is more sophisticated
> what the RS gives, the bare essentials
> lighter feeling.
> 5'5" on a good day, you should manage
> Speed?  Yes!
> uncomfortable at first, but have gotten used to it.
> I miss the Adventurer,
> find myself standing in the garage staring at the new one

After a Legend it must take some getting used to. I'll be the same after my slow and soft Thunderbird. I think I'd prefer the ST for distance and pillion work, but most of my riding is actually solo on country lanes. How's the RS pillion position? Just sitting on the RS it felt manageable. Incidentally, it felt almost identical to the TT600 I'd just sat on. It's speed is a little worrying, since I consciously moved to the Thunderbird after the VFR got me into both legal and medical trouble! But I just have to have a bike with good brakes and handling again. Comfort is my main concern now though, since knackering my wrist and knee. How do you find the high pegs? I will miss the 'bird too, but sadly can't afford both! I'll always remember it as my first and highly addictive Triumph triple (of many?).

Barry