Thinking about an upgrade

Hi folks

I'm currently a 'classic' owner (a 95 Thunderbird) and although I love it I'm thinking about moving up to a more practical Triumph with longer legs, better for all round use. I ride to work every day (60 miles), and do the occasional longer trip/tour, and while the Thunderbird engine is lovely she doesn't cope well with sustained high speed, or with mud or winter salt and only a weekly clean. I like to go fast sometimes, but I like lazy torque ALL of the time. Good handling/brakes, long-distance comfort and good town manners are essential.

So I'm thinking about an ST or an RS.

But which to go for? I've read the specs and lots of reviews, and tried sitting on both (but no test rides .. yet). My first impressions are that the ST is more sophisticated, more comfortable and more practical, but maybe a tad heavy, and it reminded me almost too much of the VFR750FM I used to run - maybe a bit TOO Japanese-looking. The RS is more rough and ready but also lighter and cheaper, and, to my eyes, more British-looking. More nimble, which I'd like for the country lanes I spend half my time on, but maybe less comfy. Perhaps a little taller? I'm only 5'7".

Head says ST, heart says RS.

If I did go for the RS I'd have to raise the bars, since this old fogey has had one biking wrist injury too many. It looks like the ST Genmar kit would fit? Will it still clear that low screen? New cables needed? With either I'd also have to have the off-road exhaust, just for the sound - is it necessary to remap, and is it easy/cheap to do? Is the difference between the hydraulic clutch and the manual one significant? How do they compare on fuel economy? I'm not too bothered about the single/double swing arm issue - and I already have a single-sider (a Honda Bros). I normally use throwovers and a tank bag for touring, which I presume the RS will take OK? Anything else I should consider?

My guess is that many of you will have faced the same decision, so if you'd care to share your thoughts and comments I'll be most grateful. What did you decide and why? Any regrets?

Thanks in advance.

Barry

PS. I think I've subscribed successfully, in digest mode, but if you want to send a long reply and/or pictures please also reply direct to:
 barry_croft@xxxxxxxxxxx