12000 mile service

Hey all,

I had my 12000 mile service completed last month.  Took them most of the
day (9.6 hours shop time) and the ST hasn't run better.  Service Manager
said that 9 of 12 valves were tight (sorry, don't know which ones or how
tight, the tech didn't write it down and was gone by the time I picked
up the bike).  I'm now over 13000 miles and haven't had any problems
with this beautiful machine.  Other than the early recalls for the
center stand and the crankcase bolts (mine is a 01/99 build) and the
'never read the same value twice' fuel gauge,  I haven't had a single
problem.  My ST has been every bit as reliable as my Honda and Yamaha
were.

While I was waiting I purchased two new tires (Metzler ME-Z4) to replace
the original BT57 front and BT56SS rear.  I never really liked the
BT57's but just can't bring myself to toss a perfectly usable tire.  The
BT57 front started cupping around 9000 miles and added a high pitched
whine to the ride at speed, but never upset the handling.  The original
57 rear lasted about 6000 miles and the 56SS is nearly gone now.  I
noticed the BT57 rear squirming a little on some corners, but the BT56SS
was always very stable.  Both tires get replaced in a couple of weeks as
I'm going to be riding the bike to North Dakota and eastern Montana for
some vacation time.

Dan Wallander
'99 Sprint ST

End of st-digest V2000 #401