Re: Tires (was Re: Taller Windscreen?)

> >what is the general opinion on the safety of putting different brands of
> >tires front and back

> Well, tire manufacturers tell you that it is a big no-no, but I know
plenty
> of people that run different tires front and back without issue

A funny thing happened on my way through VA. I picked up an  bone of some
sort in my rear Dunlop 205 after strafing some apexes off the Blueridge
Pkwy. (it had to be off, the Parkway is too sano for that sort of
occurrence) so I plugged it and proceeded to Natural Bridge. The only
Triumph dealer around (needed oil change also) was Miller Built Tractors in
Lynchburg. As he had no D205's Bill (Miller)suggested I opt for a 190/50-17
Macadam 90x. OH MY GOD! Bill and Eddy assured me they work extremely well on
our bikes, last longer in the center while droning, and nothing matches them
for wet weather. I'm 3,000 mi. from home, should I listen to these purveyors
of tractor components? I take the gamble, 'lo and behold, this is one
excellent tire. Initially it feels taller, but blasting through the twisties
of W. VA and then on to my buddy Rick's in CO and plentiful strafing with
him, I think it makes the front end feel more planted if anything. Have now
amassed over 4,000mi on it and the center wear is very good for having
crossed Missouri, Kansas then Nevada at high speeds. Those boy's know their
tractors, er Triumphs. They even adjusted my tune and used a brand new gas
analyzer to boot. I wish we had a Triumph dealer that good near Los Angeles.
Jim

Jim Schroeder
Lancaster, CA
'99 Sprint ST "Sable"