Re: Suspension

TXToday@xxxxxxx wrote:

> It seems we all agree that the Sprint ST suspension is a tad soft for either
> aggressive riders, heavier riders 200 lbs +, and/or fully loaded, two-up,
> spirited riding; all of which I am.

- -snip

Hey Rick,

I hate to sound like a broken record, but this is a fairly new broken
record for me.

Have you set up your current suspension yet?

The most important thing for the bike and rider to to have the correct
sag.  There is a guy out here who races AFM ( http://www.afmracing.org/
) and loves the sport of riding.  He is a good rider (really good), and
he always has his tape measure with him.  He taught me some of his magic
(like he teaches everyone.

I don't know if he has his materials online or not, but here is the
summary.

I also don't have the suspension specs -- specifically, how much travel.

The general rules for sport bikes is 1/4" to 3/4" on the rear, and 1/2"
to 1 " on the front.   It takes you and two helpers to measure the sag
correctly.  The smaller the sag (more preload), the stiffer the
suspension.  Only after the sag is properly set should the rebound and
damping adjusters be twiddled.  For me I am always amazed that most
dealers don't ever tell their customers how the bike is setup.  It
always make me shudder when people immediately state:  "Ahh well, the
stock suspension is to [insert comment], so I am taking it to XYZ
suspension and having them put in zirconian valves, a super stiff
springs etc."  Oft these hot suspensions houses don't even ask what the
rider weighs, because, they assume that the rider know how to setup said
motorbike.  Before anyone flames me, there are cases where the "right"
thing to do, is go out and spend some money on a real shock --  the
EX-250 comes to mind, especially when it's heading for a life of
abuse^H^H^H^H^H love on the track.  However the ST already has a
competent suspension (MHO) and we as ST owners (or future owners like
me) deserve to let our bikes be properly sprung.

I will gladly go into more detail on the setup if anyone is interested.

Eric -- I checked around on your site, and didn't find the suspension
specs.  Are they there?  Once I have this data I will post the exact
numbers for the ST.  If I ever manage to get off my butt and buy my ST,
I will post pictures.

- -chuck

 The ST/RS Mailing list is sponsored by the Unofficial ST Website