Re: new lurker^H^H^H^H list member

  Jwheinzer> In a message dated 12/28/1999 6:56:06 PM Eastern Standard Time,
  Jwheinzer> jong@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

  >> Hmmmmm.  I talked to one dealer, and ended up with 12K out the door
  >> (tax, title, and license), but was hoping for less than that, however
  >> I'm not sure if I'm being unreasonable or not...

  Jwheinzer> That is WAY too much. Even with sales tax, etc., that would be over list. I
  Jwheinzer> would  offer him somewhere between $9500-$9900, (for the bike - tax not
  Jwheinzer> incl). Mark up for these bikes is about 14%, so he's not getting hurt by that
  Jwheinzer> figure, you're getting a decent deal, and he'll have a satisfied cutomer who
  Jwheinzer> will return for parts, service, accessories, etc.

  I though he was being kind of a hard-ass.  I did start low, but he
was pretty unwilling to go down at all.  It was one of the largest
volume dealers around my area, so I'm not that surprised, since there
are plenty of sucke *cough* customers that will pay that much.  The
9500 for the bike seems about right.  He showed me a sheet that
detailed "what he paid for them" (scam?  you make the call), and it
listed his price as something like 8600.  Give him 10%, he's gotta
make money on them, and we have about 9500, which meshes with what I
was willing to pay.  With tax that's between 10 and 10.5K, which is a
hell of a lot less than 12K, but boy he wasn't willing to budge so I
walked.

  Jwheinzer> negotiate. These things are mass produced products, as much as we love them,
  Jwheinzer> and no one holds a monopoly on selling them.

  Exactly, and there are at least three other dealers within an hour
or so.  I guess I can drive an hour to save 1500 bucks.

  Thanks for the feedback!

- --
- -jong

 The ST/RS Mailing list is sponsored by the Unofficial ST Website