Tank Bag and Warped idea about paint

I got a cheapo OCELOT 12 litre bag from Chaparral on sale for under $40.  It fits well, but is not of real high quality (I could see the zipper rings pulling off if I abuse them, but I am happy with it though.  I may spray it down with ScotchGuard to waterproof it.  It came with a "raincover", which is a joke because it would take up half of the room in the bag if I carried it around.  It removes quickly, has a map pocket (very handy) and side pockets.  I kind of wish that it was expandable, but I sure wouldn't want a bag any larger than this one.  A larger bag will interfere with the handlebar controls at full-over steering position.  I've noticed that the "flat" area on the ST's tank is not very large, so those bigger bags may overhang a bit.  I just leave it on the bike.  It has the plastic inserts which keep it from collapsing when empty.  I can lean against it for the longer hauls.  It stays put.  Dissadvantage, as with any tankbag, you cannot duck under "the bubble" for those more spirited moments.  As far as I can tell, it hasn't damaged the paint in any way, but if I were really worried about the paint, I wouldn't ride the bike.  Life is too short to worry about paint in my opinion!!!!

Side note: How about stripping all of the paint off the bike and have a creamy grey ST....maybe throw a clear coat over it.  Scratches will not show...and if they do, just sand them smooth!!  I'd do it if my paint got severely messed up!  It would shave off a couple of pounds too.

 The ST/RS Mailing list is sponsored by the Unofficial ST Website