Re: Corbin saddle

Dave-How tall are you and your wife? I'm particularly curious as to her feelings
about the wind buffeting (less, more, same?).

Thanks!

Brian W.

"David A. Gilmore" <dgilmore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> on 12/16/99 02:48:33 PM

Please respond to ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

 To:      "ST-Triumph" <ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

 cc:      (bcc: Brian L Wolfe/ChubbMail)

 Subject: Corbin saddle

HI Folks, I got my new Corbin saddle yesterday.  It was a typical Corbin
deal for me, the first saddle they sent me had been built on a Ducati 900SS
base, not a real good fit for the ST.  So, back it goes, and two weeks
later, the new one arrives.  As in my other episodes with Corbin, the second
time is usually right.  This saddle is well made, fits the bike well, with
even gaps around the fairing, and is what they should have sent me the first
time.  OH WELL!  The saddle gives the bike a very different feel.  The seat
is only about a half an inch lower in the lowest part, but as usual with
Corbin, there is a large seating platform with a definite stop in the back.
Instead of the forward slant of the stock saddle, the corbin has a level
platform, giving you a much larger choice of riding positions.  Instead of
straddling the saddle, you sit on it.  Basically, it tends to push your butt
back, instead of sliding you forward onto the tank.  Consequently, with your
butt lower and further back, you seem to have a bit more lean in your torso.
 I thought it would place more weight on my arms, but instead it seems to do
the opposite, it forces you to use your back more, and takes a bit of
pressure off of your wrists.  I think the position perhaps serves the sport
rider a little better than the touring rider, as it seemed to stress my
lower back a little more.  I did notice that the new weight distribution
changes the steering input a little, and the bike seems to handle a bit
differently.  The pillion position is quite a bit (2") higher than the stock
saddle, with better padding and a similiar platform to the rider.  My wife
likes it to sit on, but she hasn't had time to ride it yet.

And now, to the disclaimer.  I just got it yesterday, and only had time to
put about 75 miles on it, so I don't have a great deal of time on it yet.
Also, I've been primarily riding the Tiger lately, so I'm used to the
upright seating position, and it always takes me a while to get used to the
different bike.  So, my test results, not only being only my opinion, are
not yet thoroughly thought out.  If you're interested, I'll do more
extensive testing later, right now it's snowing lightly.  I hope all of you
have a wonderful holiday season,        Dave

 The ST/RS Mailing list is sponsored by the Unofficial ST Website

 The ST/RS Mailing list is sponsored by the Unofficial ST Website