Re: Road Trip 2000

At 09:31 AM 12/13/1999 -0500, Paul Wilson wrote:
 >Weatherwise, the earliest I would recommend arriving is mid- May;  anything

Exactly the time frame I was thinking of. Depends a lot on the work
situation as we are building a new corporate office but if all stays on
schedule the move should be done by the first week of May.

 >Southern Ontario and Quebec are pretty flat terrain-wise, so don't be
 >expecting much in the way of elevation change.  There are myriads of lakes
 >and forests, however, with lots of good twisties.  The scenery starting
 >about 100 miles north of the border is pretty spectacular and deserted.  No
 >people, no cities, no traffic.  The biggest problem, from a fast riding

I'm not too worried about elevation changes - the last time the Rallye was
discussed, the initial leanings were toward the Blue Ridge, so I would have
plenty of hills to look forward to. My goal in the Spring would be to just
get out and enjoy the county.

 >perspective is the condition of the pavement.  Depending on the road, there
 >can be a lot of frost heaves which cause potholes and broken up pavement.
 >You just have to keep a close eye on the pavement in front of you.  Not all

I used to live in New England so I know all about scanning for frost heaves
(and potholes)

 >you may not be aware, but this area of Ontario (known as Muskoka) hosts an
 >annual Sportbike rally each July which is rapidly gaining international
 >attention due, primarily, to the great local riding.  Not much in the way of
 >police radar, either, although they are out there . . .

I hadn't heard of it - do they have anything on the web with more info ?
When in July is it - Early or late ?

 >I might suggest you enter Canada at Niagara Falls if you've never seen them.

Of course I've never been there - I went to school in Syracuse and while
all my friends went at one point or another I always said that I would go
at some later point ...... never made it....

 >I'm just one hour down the road from there.  Leave your bike at my place,
 >and you can take a 30-minute train ride into Toronto;  the city really is
 >worth at least a day of looking around.  From my house, I can send you on
 >your way and with just a 90 minute ride, you'll be in the heart of Muskoka!

I have friend (that doesn't ride) in Toronto that has already offered to
give me the tour, so that would work out well.

 >Quebec is like a country on its own.  In Ontario, you'll still feel like
 >you're in the U.S.;  in Quebec, you'll feel like you're in France.  The
 >towns, villages, and people are all extraordinary!  Lots of old
 >European-style architecture.  Scenery-wise, it's about the same as Ontario.

Did Quebec City several years ago during the winter - the temps remained at
- -25 C (without windchill) the whole weekend - didn't enjoy that trip much,
although the Canadian beer started to make up for it.

Thanks for all the help - I will be in contact as I start to make plans

- - Eric