Re: New member introduction

Previously, you (Keith Winter) wrote:
> I thought I'd respond to the request to post a little about myself.  I
> just joined the list last week.

Hi Keith.  Welcome aboard.

Keith and I "know" each other from the CB-750 list.  I've been emailing
him about my experiences as a new ST owner (including the crash) for the
past few weeks.  Actually he knows me by my alter-ego of my home
address.  :-)

> I am not yet the owner of a Sprint; I've put a deposit on a 2000
> Eclipse Blue Sprint RS and should take delivery in January (fingers
> crossed).  I know this is an ST list, but since there is no RS list
> yet, this seemed like a good place for useful information about the
> bike, since they share a lot in common.

I recall that it was common agreement that this list would be extended
to cover the RS as well.  The models have so much in common that it just
makes sense anyway.  The people on this list even accept people like me
who "hung around" for months with a vague plan to buy an ST at some
undefined point in the future.  If they'll accept me, you've got no
problem!

BTW, if you thought the CB-750 list members were friendly and
supportive, just wait until you've spent some time here.  The ST list is
a model of what all other lists should aspire to!

> My current ride is a 1998 Honda Nighthawk CB750.  While I enjoy
> this bike, I have been yearning for a bike with a more modern
> frame/suspension with a little more zip, and have been sort of
> drooling over the ST for about six months.

With either the ST or the RS you'll get the modern frame/suspension and
a LOT more zip!

> Then I saw the first
> reports and pictures of the RS and my mind became set.  I really
> like the half-faired look of the machine.  I've heard almost nothing
> but good reviews on the ST (even the latest Sport Rider magazine
> rated the ST the best sport-tourer), so given the commonality, I
> think I'm making a good choice.

I don't think you can go wrong with either bike.

> The RS does lack the option of hard bags (Triumph has no plans
> for hard bags for the RS line), which gave me pause, but I don't
> have use for bags that often and my Eclipse luggage should work
> fine for when I do.  I probably will have to buy a different tank bag,
> as mine is magnetic and I think the airbox on the RS is not metal.

I can see a lot of people using the Eclipse luggage on the RS.  It
should look real nice.

Yes, your magnetic tankbag will need to be replaced.

> Well, that's about it.  I look forward to reading and participating in
> this group.

You're in for a fun time.  You're getting a great bike and you've fallen
in with the best group of people I've ever found on the internet.  :-)

- --
Bill Flowers - Never Say Die
Clearwater FL
'00 Sapphire Blue ST "Jewel"