Challenge to Your Riding Record

<John writes:Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 23:25:05 -0800
<From: John Stossel <jstossel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
<Subject: Re: ST Crashes

<Well it sound like I have the best record. 8 years with only 2 minor
<incidences and then only in my first 2 months of riding.

Hang on there fella, you don't have the best record!!!  I have been riding
for 22 years averaging 15,000 to 20,000 miles per year. (Well above the USA
average of around 3500 milews per year!) I ride year round racking up
commuting, hard sport riding and touring miles.  This is through rain,
sometimes snow (yuck!), day, night, cold, hot whatever......

I had one minor getoff in 1983 when a kamikazi dog ran into my front wheel
as I negotiated a lefthander at 37 miles per hour.  The poor dog could not
be avoided, ran into my front wheel twisting it out of my hands (I was on a
250 enduro) and I went tumbling end over end into the adjacent yard.  Some
bumps and bruises and was able to ride the bike home.  The dog didn't fare
as well, it died.;(

I have avoided more accidents than I can count by always riding as if I were
invisible to other vehicles and always planning what I was going to do if
this driver turms in front of me etc. etc......

Statistically I beleive everyone crashes at least once in their riding
career.  However, it has also been shown that a motorcyclists risk actually
decreases as the mileage ridden increases.  This is due to the increased
skill level that develops and basically being one with the bike and used to
the various conditions encountered.

Keep aware and ride safely all!

Best wishes for the holidays listers!
Charlie