Re: Coolant reservoir (was shifting linkage)

TrmpetDave@xxxxxxx wrote:

> In a message dated 12/10/99 8:36:34 AM, jwratmaster@xxxxxxxxx writes:
>
> << This coolant reservoir cap leaking all over the back of the bike
>
> I don't think the coolant resevoir cap is meant to be watertight. If it runs
> over at normal operating temoerature, it means the system has been
> overfilled, a condition which is self-correcting.

Several people on this list have reported problems with coolant leaking
out of the reservoir cap, but I don't understand how the coolant can
leak out of the cap without coming out of the overflow tube first which
is below it.  Perhaps the overflow line is kinked?

A related question.  The plastic of the coolant reservoir on my bike is
so thick that I can not see the level through the sight window on the
rear bodywork no matter what I use for a light source.  Are they all
like that?  My bike does not spill or use coolant, but it would be nice
to be able to see the level without removing bodywork.

I added a small amount of distilled water to the reservoir during the
500 mile service and it has not used a drop since, now  having about
11,000 miles logged.

Gary