Re: Speaking about leg protection.

On Thu, 9 Dec 1999, Matt Knowles wrote:

> >My bike is in the exact same condition as Bills for almost the
> >exact same reason.
>
> Sorry to hear about another one, but I'm glad you're ok. The number of
> crashes that I've heard about since joining this list is starting to worry
> me though. Not that I think the bike is inherently unsafe (well, not more

I would not let that worry you, for the most part the crashes have
been mino[u]r.  Personally it is not going to deter my biking one
bit, well except for the fast that I have to fix my bike first.

> than any other motorcycle that is) but I'm wondering what insurance is
> going to be like for this model. I don't know how many total subscribers

Actually I was on my ZX9r, I don't actually have a ST yet, the key
word is yet. Basically the cause of my accident was the ideally
wrong conditions, very cool dry air. I swear my bike has 5-10 more
HP than it did 2 short months ago when it was much warmer, and of
course cool tires. And as far as insurance, this one is not going
to get claimed, it will cost me about 500-750 bucks and a bit of
elbow grease. Considering my deductible is $500, my insurance
company will never here of it.

As far as Bill's accident, his insurance company is going to go
after the cage, so again it won't be reflected in our insurance
rates.

> there are on this list, but I never heard about this many crashes on a
> Katana list I used to be on and there had to be far more of us on that list
> than this one.

The two lists that I participate in are particularly open, for the
most part the people in these two lists post their accidents and
crashes in the hopes that no one makes the same mistake. For me,
a bit to much juice on cold tires, for Bill, it was not leaving
enough room for the errant cage. For my accident all I can say was
that I was a dumb ass and my knee is going to be sore for a couple
of weeks and I will be charged a stupid tax of $750. Bill, he will
remember what he already knows, don't trust cages, it does not
matter if you are in the right, they can still make mistakes.

> Is it just me, or do others sense that a higher number of ST's have gone
> down than one would expect?

Have you ever heard the old adage, there are two types of riders,
those that have gone down, and those that will. Well, there seems
to be a lot of newer riders on the list .... (sorry Bill)

Unfortunately this is the second pidly down that I have had, the
first was on my ex500, as I low sided as the front tyre slid on
some fresh gravel.

Thomas

Thomas Emberson  <Thomas@xxxxxxx>
QNX Software Systems Inc.
5025 Arapaho Road, Suite 406, Dallas, 75248
(972) 851-6945 (voice)  (972) 851-6944 (fax)