Re: Hit by car -- only 16 days old!

Previously, you (Gord Hooker) wrote:
> Helmet, gloves, jacket,
> pants, boots. Don't leave home without them.

Well, I had the helmet (came through unscathed), gloves (scuffed),
jacket (quite scuffed) and boots (maybe a bit worse for wear, but hard
to tell given the pre-crash condition).  Obviously I didn't have proper
leg protection, and I knew it.  This has inspired my other recent post.

BTW, the dealer wants me to bring in all my gear for him to go over it
and add them to the insurance claim.  I never even considered that the
insurance would cover replacement helmet (if needed), gloves, jacket,
etc.

The woman who sold me the ST was in a bad crash a few years go (17-year
old DUI).  In emergency they cut her clothing off her.  Everything was
replaced except she forgot to itemize the Victoria's Secret panties she
was wearing.  (No, I don't know for a fact that that was what she was
wearing, but this is the story she told me yesterday).

BTW, these days she rides a Trident.

> This all happened two weeks
> before my wedding-- my wife was NOT pleased, but she still married me so I
> guess she got over it.

Women will forgive many things in the men they love.  Good thing or the
species would have died out a long, long time ago.  :-)

> How long do you figure the engine ran on it's side?

The paramedics responded in less than 2 minutes (only a block away).  In
that time I had finally made it up to limp over to the bike and kill it,
then back to drop onto the soft earth I had come to rest in.

> My dad dropped my Yamaha
> last year, he wasn't moving but the engine was running. It ran for about 10
> seconds and I was positively amazed at the amount of oil that went out the
> crankcase breather and into the airbox. My guess is that the area under the
> valve cover filled with oil, which was then forced out through the crankcase
> breather. If the engine only ran for a minute or two, then stalled because
> fuel wasn't where it was supposed to be, you might be ok. Don't forget that
> your mind was probably racing, so a few seconds would have seemed like
> minutes.

You are right that those few minutes seemed like forever.  Still do
looking back.  I can still recall looking down to see the cars front
left tire crossing the dotted line and my front wheel being FAR too
close to the body.  Then me leaning over more and moving my hands to
clutch and brake.  Then the bump which I thought at the time was a panic
grab of the brake but now is obviously (given the paint on the rubber)
his car contacting my front wheel.  Thinking "I'm going down".  Pain in
my left knee.  Thinking "Ow, my knee" followed by "I hope my foot
doesn't get stuck under the bike".  Sliding and watching sparks from the
bike as it slides ahead of me.  Even while sliding thinking "Shit! My
new bike! Damn, damn, damn!" Anger growing even before I come to a stop.

OK, here's the latest from the mechanic.  He hasn't torn into the engine
yet, but will start today.  He isn't expecting any surprises.

If one of these bikes is over on its left for more than a moment, oil
backs up the breather tube and into the airbox, just as you guessed.
>From there it can end up all sorts of places it shouldn't, including
causing a hydro lock that will sieze the engine.  That's why mine won't
turn over now and why it was progressively running rougher as it lay
there.

When you stand the bike upright the oil drips out of the airbox for a
long, long time, making you think you've got a major oil leak.

In total I lost maybe 2 quarts (1/2 the oil, not all of it as I first
thought) and I'm actually left with enough (barely) to safely run the
engine.  I still have oil showing in the bottom of the sight window when
the bike is stood upright.

> That said, I would want a complete check of compression and leakdown, oil
> pressure, etc. Personally, for my own piece of mind, I'd be asking for a new
> engine.

My dealer went through some bad wrenches but seems to have a good crew
now.  The guy who is handling my bike sure seems to know what he is
talking about, and can explain it in simple terms to me that even I can
understand.  He is just completing the rebuild of another ST (needed a
new frame!) that was also down on the left stlll running, so he has
recent experience with the scenario.

If there is any sign of engine problems they will write-off the engine.
But other than a major cleanup, inside and out, no problems are
expected.

Also, the mechanic used to race.  And teach racing somewhere too.  He
said the marks on the tire are distinctive of contact, recognized from
his racing days when people would deliberately attempt contact with the
front wheel to eliminate competition.

> Hell of a way to break in a motor though... much quicker than the
> factory-recommended procedure!

I think I prefer the slower route thanks.

> Get well, then go give that bike the TLC it's crying out for!

My wife is giving me lots of TLC.  I guess I should do my best for
Jewel.

- --
Bill Flowers - Never Say Die
Clearwater FL