Re: Hit by car -- only 16 days old!

Bill, sorry to hear about your accident. I dropped my first bike (Suzuki
GS550) on my ankle on a slow left-hander (always check that side stand
people!), and it still aches now and then. I was wearing full leathers and
the doctor said if not for the riding boots, I'd have gone straight into
surgery. I sent the boots into surgery instead. Helmet, gloves, jacket,
pants, boots. Don't leave home without them. This all happened two weeks
before my wedding-- my wife was NOT pleased, but she still married me so I
guess she got over it.

How long do you figure the engine ran on it's side? My dad dropped my Yamaha
last year, he wasn't moving but the engine was running. It ran for about 10
seconds and I was positively amazed at the amount of oil that went out the
crankcase breather and into the airbox. My guess is that the area under the
valve cover filled with oil, which was then forced out through the crankcase
breather. If the engine only ran for a minute or two, then stalled because
fuel wasn't where it was supposed to be, you might be ok. Don't forget that
your mind was probably racing, so a few seconds would have seemed like
minutes.

That said, I would want a complete check of compression and leakdown, oil
pressure, etc. Personally, for my own piece of mind, I'd be asking for a new
engine.

Hell of a way to break in a motor though... much quicker than the
factory-recommended procedure!

Get well, then go give that bike the TLC it's crying out for!

Regards,

Gord.